I was born in England, but moved with my family at a young age and grew up in Saratoga, California. I received my undergraduate degree in animal science at the University of California Davis and graduated from UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine in 2013. I completed a rotating internship followed by a cardiology residency at the University of Pennsylvania. My personal interests include cooking and rock climbing.
Clinical Areas of Interest
Management of chronic refractory heart failure, assessment of complex arrhythmias, and troubleshooting pacemaker programming.
Why do you work at Friendship
I work at Friendship because I can collaborate with a team of incredible doctors with different backgrounds and specialties to provide the highest quality medicine for our patients. I am new to the DC area, and have loved exploring rock creek park and visiting the many wonderful museums and the beautiful national zoo.
- BS Animal Science – University of California Davis 2009
- DVM – University of California Davis 2013
- Rotating Small Animal Internship – University of Pennsylvania 2014
- Cardiology Residency – University of Pennsylvania 2017
- Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Cardiology)
- Toborowsky CJ, Block CL. Resolution of ST elevation with metoprolol treatment in a juvenile Scottish fold cat with left ventricular outflow tract obstruction. J Am Vet Med Assoc (Accepted for publication July 2018).
- Block CL. Stress-induced vasovagal syncope in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2019;254(2):206-208.
- Hezzell MJ, Block CL, Laughlin DS, Oyama MA. Effect of Pre-Specified Therapy Escalation on Plasma NT-proBNP Concentrations in Dogs with Stable Congestive Heart Failure due to Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease. J Vet Intern Med 2018;32:1509-1516.
- Block CL, Barr C, Gelzer AR. Isorhythmic atrioventricular dissociation in a cat. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2018;252:1214-16.
- Thorn CL, Ford NR, Sleeper MM. Partial anomalous pulmonary venous connection in a dog. J Vet Cardiol. J Vet Cardiol 2017; 19:448-54.
- Thorn CL, Vezina-Audette R, Gelzer AR. Conversion of atrial dissociation with lidocaine in a dog. J Vet Cardiol 2017; 19:283-86.
- Oyama MA, Solter PF, Thorn CL, Stern JA. Feasibility, safety, and tolerance of subcutaneous synthetic canine B-type natriuretic peptide (syncBNP) in healthy dogs and dogs with stage B1 mitral valve disease. J Vet Cardiol 2017; 19:211-17.
- Oyama MA, Hezzell MJ, Laughlin DS, Thorn CL, Kraus MS, Gelzer AR. Anodal stimulation in two dogs with transvenous permanent bipolar pacemakers. J Vet Cardiol 2016;18(4):398-404.
- Thorn CL & Oyama MA. Sinus arrhythmia and phase 4 aberrancy in a cat. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2015;247(11):12441246.
- Thorn CL, Oyama MA. Canine Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease: How to monitor and when to treat. CVL – Companion Animals 2014; 3(3):65-70.