I grew up in Atlanta, GA. and received my undergraduate degree in biological sciences at UGA and graduated from UGA College of Veterinary Medicine in 2008. I completed a rotating internship at Red Bank Veterinary Hospital in Red Bank, NJ followed by a ACVIM Foundation Fellowship at North Carolina State University studying the inflammatory response to brain tumors in dogs.
Clinical Areas of Interest
Neurology and neurosurgery with special interest in neuroimaging and seizure management as well as inflammatory responses to CNS pathology and both surgical and medical management of spinal cord disease. Chose neurology specialty because the neurologic exam and localization of the problem is like a puzzle and allows me to treat medically and surgically depending on the case. Amazing to help patients come from life-changing debilitation to functional improvement with a good quality of life.
Why Do You Work at Friendship?
Interested in collaborative group covering multiple specialties in diagnosis and treating complex cases within one team with common goals and care. Laid back group that is flexible in efforts to help patients and have the ability to think outside the box in workup of cases as well as treatments. Supportive administration in the efforts to advance best medicine and expand contribution to the field.
- BSA (biological sciences) – UGA 2004
- DVM – UGA CVM 2008
- Rotating Small Animal Internship – Red Bank Veterinary Hospital, Red Bank NJ 2009
- ACVIM Foundation Fellowship – NCSU CVM 2010
- Neurology and Neurosurgery Residency – UGA CVM 2014
- Neurosurgery Certificate of Training – completed 2015
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Neurology) 2014
Publications and Research
- ACVIM Foundation Fellowship: Project title: Immune System-Tumor Interactions in Canine Patients with Intracranial Neoplasia, North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine
Selected peer reviewed journals
- Olby NJ, Vaden SL, Williams K, Griffith EH, Harris T, Mariani CL, Munana KR, Early PJ, Platt SR, Boozer L, Giovanella C, Longshore R. Effect of cranberry extract on the frequency of bacteriuria in dogs with acute thoracolumbar disk herniation: A randomized controlled clinical trial. J Vet Intern Med, 2017; 31(1): 60-68.
- Boozer LB, Platt SR, Haley AC, Linville AV, Kent M, Barron LE, Nie B, Arnold RD. Pharmacokinetic evaluation of immediate and extended-release formulations of levetiracetam in dogs. Am J Vet Res, 2015; 76(8): 719-723.
- Mariani CL, Boozer LB, Braxton AM, Platt SR, Vernau KM, McDonnell JJ, Guevar J. Evaluation of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 in cerebrospinal fluid of dogs with intracranial tumors. Am J Vet Res, 2013; 74: 122-129.
- Boozer LB, Davis TW, Borst LB, Zseltvay KM, Olby NJ, Mariani CL. Characterization of immune cell infiltration into canine intracranial meningiomas. Vet Path, 2012; 49: 784-795.
- Lim JH, Boozer L, Mariani CL, Piedrahita JA, Olby NJ. Generation and characterization of neurospheres from canine adipose tissue-derived stromal cells. Cell Reprogram, 2010; 12: 417-425.
- Pacifico N, Weishaar KM, Boozer LB, Nakamura RK. Full recovery after cardiac arrest secondary to accidental iatrogenic venous air embolism in a cat. J Vet Emerg Crit Care, 2010; 20: 264-267.
- Levine JM, Levine GJ, Boozer LB, Schatzberg SJ, Platt SR, Kent M, Kerwin SC, Fosgate GT. Adverse effects and outcome associated with dexamethasone administration in dogs with acute thoracolumbar intervertebral disk herniation: 161 cases (2000-2006). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2008; 232: 411-417.
- Boozer LB, Platt SR, Freeman AC, Higginbotham M, McConnell JF, Goncalves R, Kent M, Haley A, White T, Beasley M, De Risio L. Prediction of functional outcome in dogs with cerebellar ischemic infarction: a retrospective, multicenter study of 91 dogs (Abstract). Proc. of the Annual Meeting of the American College of Internal Medicine, 2014.
- Mariani CL, Boozer LB, Cherubini GB, Vernau KM, Campbell J, Dillard S, Early PJ, Gallagher R, MacKillop E, Munana KR, Niman ZE, Olby NJ, Inman AO, Monteiro-Riviere NA. Cytokine and Chemokine Levels in Serum and Cerebrospinal Fluid of Dogs with Inflammatory Central Nervous System Disease (Abstract). Proc. of the Annual Meeting of the American College of Internal Medicine, 2010.
- Boozer LB, Mariani CL, Campbell J, Dillard S, Early PJ, Gallagher R, MacKillop E, Munana KR, Niman ZE, Olby NJ, Inman AO, Monteiro-Riviere NA. Evaluation of Cytokine and Chemokine Levels in Canine Intracranial Neoplasia (Abstract). Proc. of the Annual Meeting of the American College of Internal Medicine, 2010.