Friendship Surgical Specialists (FSS) is led by board-certified surgeons Dr. Mathieu Glassman and Dr. Laura Barbur. FSS works closely with Friendship’s other specialists, including our anesthesiologist and emergency critical care specialists to ensure the most comprehensive care for your patients. FSS provides all disciplines of surgical care to the dogs and cats of Washington D.C., including orthopedic surgery, soft tissue surgery (abdominal and thoracic), and all types of oncological surgery. Access to many diagnostics on site helps us provide the best care possible- including MRI, CT, musculoskeletal ultrasound, abdominal ultrasound, on site clinical pathologist and clinical laboratory, fluoroscopy, endoscopy, arthroscopy and laparoscopy.
In addition to surgical care, FSS also performs orthopedic/lameness evaluations and non-surgical orthopedic treatments. FSS prides itself on working closely with referring veterinarians to ensure that their patients receive the most prompt and skilled surgical care possible. Communication between client, specialist and referring veterinarian is an area of utmost importance and allows us to differentiate ourselves from other surgical specialists in the area.
Services offered included, but not limited to:
- Cranial cruciate ligament rupture, TPLO
- Patella luxation, fracture repair – open or fluoroscopic/minimally invasive
Oncological and Reconstructive surgery
Soft tissue surgery
- Airway surgery to correct laryngeal paralysis or brachycephalic airway syndrome
- Skin reconstruction
- Salivary gland surgery
- Thoracic (heart and lung) surgery
- Abdominal surgery (liver, gall bladder, intestine, adrenal gland, kidney, spleen, urinary bladder, ureter, urethra – including placement of subcutaneous ureteral bypass [SUB])
- Gastric dilatation and volvulus
- Foreign body obstruction
- Emergency fracture fixation – including vertebral body fractures
Minimally Invasive surgery
- Fluoroscopically guided fracture repairs
- Intraluminal stent placement
Extensive Wound Management
- Extensive bite wound management
- Wounds with or without concurrent orthopedic injury
- Wounds requiring advanced wound healing techniques such as Vacuum Assisted Closure (VAC) or skin grafting/rotational flap techniques
Interventional Surgical Procedures
- Urethral stent placement
How to refer:
- Urgent or Emergent surgical cases can be sent through the Friendship Hospital Urgent Care Service 24 hours a day for surgical referral.
- Clients may contact us directly via,
- Email – FSS@friendshiphospital.com
- Phone – Speak with the FSS Referral Coordinator at 202.363.7300
- Referring Veterinarians
- Contact either surgeon directly to discuss cases.
- Complete a referral form on our website so that we may contact the client directly or be prepared for their call