I am originally from Galway, Ireland, and grew up with many types of animals on my uncle’s farm. I decided to become a vet and studied at the University College Dublin, Ireland. Some externships over here in the USA allowed me to have my first taste of emergency and critical care medicine and so the minute I graduated, I decided to emigrate to pursue board certification in emergency medicine. I live in Maryland with my rescue dog Thumper and cat Feta.
Clinical Area of Interest
Toxicology, cardiac and endocrine emergencies, mechanical ventilation
Why do you work at Friendship?
Although I’m new to the DC area, I love being able to work in a busy referral hospital in the center of an urban center like DC. The large number of available specialties here allows me to practice the high quality medicine and provide excellent patient care. Equally, the ability to teach and mentor incoming interns to hopefully continue to foster an interest in emergency and critical care medicine is very important to me.
- MVB: University College Dublin
- Internship: Advanced Veterinary Care Center, Lawndale, Ca
- Residency: Oradell Animal Hospital, Paramus, New Jersey
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
Publications and Research
- Murphy LA, Panek CM, Bianco D, Nakamura RK. Yunnan Baiyao and Epsilon Aminocaproic acid for dogs with right atrial masses and pericardial effusion. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2017; 27: 121-126
- Hybki GC, Murphy LA, Marchi JP, Patlogar JE, Brisson JO and Nakamura RK. Lumbosacral agenesis in a cat. J Feline Med Surg Open Reports 2016
- Murphy LA, Nakamura RK and Miller JM. Surgical correction of gastro-esophageal intussusception with bilateral incisional gastropexy in three dogs. J Small Anim Pract 2015; 56(10):630-2.
- Murphy LA, Zuckerman IC and Nakamura RK. ECG of the month. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2015
- Murphy LA, Russell NJ, Dulake MI and Nakamura RK. Constrictive pericarditis following surgical repair of a peritoneopericardial diaphragmatic hernia in a cat. J Feline Med Surg 2014; 16(8): 708-712.
- Murphy LA, Zuendt GF, Nakamura RK and Gambardella P. Hypersensitivity reaction associated with subcutaneous glargine insulin therapy in a cat. J Feline Med Surg, 2016
- Tansey C, Hybki GC, Murphy LA, Bianco D and Nakamura RK. Evaluation of oral Yunnan Baiyao therapy on thromboleastographic parameters in apparently healthy adult dogs. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2018; 28: 221-225
- Murphy LA, Russell NK, Bianco D and Nakamura RK. Retrospective evaluation of pimobendan and sildenafil therapy for severe pulmonary hypertension due to lung disease and hypoxia in 28 dogs (2007-2013). Veterinary Medicine and Science. 2017
- Patlogar JE, Tansey C, Wiebe M, Trostel T, Murphy LA and Nakamura RK. A prospective evaluation of oral Yunnan baiyao therapy on thromboelastographic parameters in apparently healthy cats. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2018; 28: 221-225
- Sloan CQ, Murphy LA and Nakamura RK. ECG of the month, pre-excitation in a cat. J Am Vet Med Assoc, Nov 2018
- Murphy LA, Russell NR and Nakamura RK. Images in small animal practice, right atrial aneurysm in a dog. J Small Anim Pract. 2019, 60(1), 62-62
- Morgan R, Cortes Y and Murphy LA. Pathophysiology and etiology of hypoglycemic crisis. J Small Animal Practice, 59 (11), 659-669
- Sugerman-McGiffin T, Hybki GC, Castro J, Murphy LA, Tansey C, Patlogar JE, Nakamura RK and Chen DY. Clients’ attitudes towards veterinarians’ attire in the small animal emergency medicine setting. J Am Vet Med Assoc. Aug 2018
- Bryce A, Rossi T, Tansey C, Murphy LA and Nakamura RK. The effect of client complaints on small animal veterinary internists. Journal of Small Animal Practice, Oct 2018
- Robb, K.A., Rossi, T.A., Tansey, C., Hybki, G.C., Murphy, L.A., Nakamura, R.K. and Chen, D.Y., 2018. Evaluation of owners’ attitudes towards veterinarian attire in the small animal specialty setting in North America. Veterinary Medicine and Science, Nov 2018
- Patlogar JE, Tansey C, Wiebe M, Hybki GC, Trostel T, Murphy LA, Nakamura RK. A prospective evaluation of oral Yunnan baiyao therapy on thromboelastographic parameters in apparently healthy cats. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2019, 29 (6), 611-615
- Bonaparte A, Tansey C, Wiebe M, Espinoza HE, Patlogar JE, Murphy LA, Nakamura RK. The effect of atorvastatin on hemostatic parameters in apparently healthy dogs. J Small Anim Pract 2019; 60(9):565-570.
- Evans LA, Tansey C, Wiebe M, Sloan CQ, Patlogar JE, Northcutt S, Murphy LA, Nakamura RK. A prospective evaluation of rivaroxaban on hemostatic parameters in apparently healthy dogs. Vet Med Sci 2019; 5(3):317-324.
- Murphy LA, Nakamura RK. ECG of the Month: Ashman’s phenomenon. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2019; 254:470-471.
- Murphy LA, Nakamura RK. ECG of the Month: Ventriuclophasic sinus arrhythmia,. J Am Vet Med Assoc, 2019: 255; 301-302
- Murphy LA, Nakamura RK. ECG of the Month: Atrioventricular Dissociation. J Am Vet Med Assoc, due for publication March 2020
- Tumielewicz, K.L., Hudak, D., Kim, J., Hunley, D.W. and Murphy, L.A., 2019. Review of oncological emergencies in small animal patients. Veterinary medicine and science, 5(3), pp.271-296.
- Murphy LA and Nakamura RK. Infective Endocarditis in Small Animals. Veterinary Ireland Journal. April 2018
Book Chapter :
- Murphy LA and Nakamura RK. Drobatz Textbook of Small Animal Emergency Medicine 2016.
- Ventricular Ectopy. Murphy LA and Nakamura RK. Drobatz Textbook of Small Animal Emergency Medicine 2016.