I grew up in Canada. I attended the University of Guelph and obtained a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in microbiology. I obtained my Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from the Ontario Veterinary College. Following veterinary school, I completed a rotating internship in small animal medicine and surgery at The Animal Medical Center in New York. After my internship, I spent 3 years working in small animal general practice in Toronto, Canada, and then returned to The Animal Medical Center to complete an oncology residency. Following my residency, I worked as a staff oncologist at The Animal Medical Center and several other practices in New York. I have also served as a visiting lecturer in oncology for the Cornell University Hospital for Animals in Ithaca, New York.
- University of Guelph, Bachelor of Science with Honors, Microbiology major
- Ontario Veterinary College, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine with Distinction
- The Animal Medical Center, Rotating Internship in Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
- The Animal Medical Center, Oncology Residency
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Oncology)
Veterinary Cancer Society Meeting 2000 “Evaluation of epidermal growth factor receptor expression in feline oral squamous cell carcinoma”
Veterinary Cancer Society Meeting 1998 “Radiation therapy for incompletely resected soft tissue sarcomas in dogs: 48 cases”
- Arteaga TA, McKnight J, Bergman PJ. A review of 18 cases of feline colonic adenocarcinoma treated with subtotal colectomies and adjuvant carboplatin. JAAHA 2012; 48(6):399-404.
- Endicott MM, Charney SC, McKnight JA, Loar AM, Bergman PJ. Clinicopathological findings and results of bone marrow aspiration in dogs with cutaneous mast cell tumors: 157 cases (1999-2002). Vet Comp Oncol 2007; 5(1):31-37.
- Camps-Palau MA, Leibman NF, Elmslie R, Lana SE, Plaza S, McKnight JA, Risbon R, Pergman PJ. Treatment of canine mast cell tumors with vinblastine, cyclophosphamide and prednisone: 35 cases (1997-2004). Vet Comp Oncol 2007; 5(3):156-167.
- Novosad CA, Berman PJ, O’Brien MG, McKnight JA, et al. Retrospective evaluation of adjunctive doxorubicin for the treatment of feline mammary gland adenocarcinomas: 67 cases. JAAHA 2006; 42(2): 110-120.
- Ettinger SN, Scase TJ, Oberthaler KT, Craft DM, McKnight JA, Leibman NF, Charney SC, Bergman PJ. Association of argyrophilic nucleolar organizer regions, Ki-67, and proliferating cell nuclear antigen scores with histologic grade and survival in dogs with soft tissue sarcomas: 60 cases (1996-2002) JAVMA 2006; 228(7): 1053-1062.
- Charney SC, Bergman PJ, McKnight JA, et al. Evaluation of intracavitary mitoxantrone and carboplatin for treatment of carcinomatosis, sarcomatosis and mesothelioma with or without malignant effusions: a retrospective analysis of 12 cases (1997-2002). Vet Comp Oncol 2005: 3(4):171-181.
- Bergman PJ, Camps-Palau MA, McKnight JA, et al. Development of a xenogenic DNA vaccine program for canine malignant melanoma at The Animal Medical Center. Vaccine 2005; 24:4582-4585.
- Bergman PJ, McKnight JA, Novosad A, et al. Longterm survival of dogs with advanced malignant melanoma after DNA vaccination with xenogenic human tyrosinase: a phase I trial. Clin Cancer Res 2003; 9(4):1284-1290.
- Charney SC, Bergman PJ, Hohenhaus AE, McKnight JA. Risk factors for sterile hemorrhagic cystitis in dogs with lymphoma receiving cyclophosphamide with or without concurrent administration of furosemide: 216 cases (1990-1996). JAAVMA 2003; 222(10): 1388-1393.
- McKnight JA. Principles of Chemotherapy. Clin Tech Small Animal Pract 2003; 18(2):67-72.
- McKnight JA, Mauldin GN, McEntee MC, et al. Radiation treatment for incompletely resected soft tissue sarcomas in dogs. JAVMA 2000; 217(2): 205-210.