I’m a Pennsylvania native and went to the University of Pennsylvania for veterinary school. After working for a year in private practice, I completed a rotating internship at the VCA Norwalk/Shoreline referral hospitals in Connecticut. Thereafter I completed an internal medicine residency at the University of Wisconsin.
Upon becoming a board certified internal medicine specialist, I returned to the University of Pennsylvania as faculty, where I spent 4 years running the hemodialysis and blood purification service. I have completed a long-distance nephrology and hemodialysis fellowship under the training of Dr. Larry Cowgill at the University of California, Davis. I joined the FHA team in September of 2016.
Clinical Areas of Interest
- Hemodialysis and extracorporeal therapies
- Acute kidney injury
Why Do You Work at Friendship?
I like being part of a collaborative, innovative, and proficient team. We work together to create every opportunity for our patients to beat their illnesses.
- BS Biology- University of Pittsburgh
- VMD- University of Pennsylvania
- ACVIM (Small animal internal medicine)
Publications and Research
- Foster JD, Krishnan H, Cole SJ. Retrospective characterization of subclinical bacteriuria, bacterial cystitis, and pyelonephritis in dogs with chronic kidney disease. J Am Vet Med Assoc. In press, 2017.
- Tauk B, Foster JD. Treatment of ibuprofen toxicity with serial charcoal hemoperfusion and hemodialysis in a dog. J Vet Emerg Crit Care. Nov;26(6):787-792. 2016
- Kelly KL, Drobatz KJ, Foster JD. Effect of fenoldopam continuous infusion on glomerular filtration rate and fractional excretion of sodium in healthy dogs. J Vet Intern Med. Sep;30(5):1655-1660. 2016
- Dowling SR, Webb J, Foster JD, Ginn J, Foy DS, Trepanier LA. Opportunistic fungal infections in dogs treated with ciclosporin and glucocorticoids: eight cases. J Small Anim Pract. 2015. 57(2), 105–109.
- Gross C, Cianciolo RE, Lees GE, Brown CA, & Foster JD. Proliferative, necrotizing and crescentic immune complex-mediated glomerulonephritis in a cat. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery Open Reports. 2015 1(2):1-6.
- Cianciolo RE, Foster JD, Martinez M, Lees GE. Glomerular atherosclerotic emboli in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc. In press, 2014.
- Mans C, Foster JD. Endoscopy-guided ectopic egg removal from the urinary bladder in a leopard tortoise (Stigmochelys pardalis). Can Vet J. 2014 Jun;55(6):569-72.
- Foster JD, Sample S, Kohler R, Watson K, Muir P, Trepanier LA. Serum biomarkers of clinical and cytologic response in dogs with idiopathic immune-mediated polyarthropathy. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2014;28(3):905–911.
- Foster JD, Trepanier LA, Ginn JA. Use of linezolid to treat MRSP bacteremia and discospondylitis in a dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2014;50 (1):53-8.
- Foster JD, Hartmann FA, Moriello KA. A case of apparent canine erysipeloid associated with Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae bacteraemia. Vet Dermatol. 2012;23 (6): 528-e108.
- Foster JD, Pinkerton ME. Bilateral ureteropelvic junction stenosis causing hydronephrosis and renal failure in an adult cat. J Feline Med Surg. 2012;14 (12): 938-41.
- Foster JD. Focus on Pharmacology: Use of Antibiotics in the Urinary Tract. Today’s Vet Practice. In press, 2017.
- Foster JD. Update on Mineral and Bone Disorders in Chronic Kidney Disease. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. Nov;46(6):1131-49. 2016.
- Foster JD. Canine chronic kidney disease: current diagnostics & goals for long term management. Today’s Vet Practice. 2013;3 (5): 21-6.
- Foster JD. Oliguria. In: Drobatz K, Rozanski E, Silverstein D, Hopper K, eds.: The Textbook of Small Animal Emergency Medicine, St. Louis, Expected Publication 2017, Wiley.
- Foster JD. Grape and Raisin Toxicity. In: Drobatz K, Rozanski E, Silverstein D, Hopper K, eds.: The Textbook of Small Animal Emergency Medicine, St. Louis, Expected Publication 2017, Wiley.
- Foster JD, Humm K. Renal and Urinary Emergencies. In: King L, Boag A, eds.: BSAVA Manual of Emergency and Critical Care, ed 3, St. Louis, 2017, Wiley.
- Kunder D, Foster JD. Cutaneous manifestations of internal disease. In: Little S, ed.: August’s Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine, ed. 7, Philadelphia, 2015, Elsevier